Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dehydrating the Excess

As much as S.D. and I love canning, some things are just better off dehydrated, especially when there is simply NO freezer space left.  The great advantage to dehydrated foods is the compact and permanent nature of the product.  The disadvantage is needing water to rehydrate your product for usage and that they are all very hydrophilic in nature, they need to be in an airtight storage container, or several smaller airtight storage containers to keep the product good for a longer period of time.

Like canning, there is an original energy expenditure for creating the stored form of the product, but then will stay stored without power or energy until used.  Our latest adventures in dehydrating have involved Scotch Bonnet peppers (1/4 bushel will dehydrate and pulverize down to a 4oz dry storage jar), and even more recently, celery.  Today we are venturing into the world of dehydrated onions.

We have a store nearby, and it is a discount grocer who sells almost expired produce at a mighty discount.  Last week, my dear friend, YAM and I took a trip there and I purchased #50 of onions for $15.00.  I felt pretty good about this and feel as though I can be justified in experimenting again.  It is my hope to convert the mass of onions into a lilliputian stored product.
Hang tight as we figure this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment