Thursday, November 18, 2010

staying currant on trees and landscaping

Last spring, I started plans to redesign our lot (read: tiny, city lot) with what's called Edible Landscaping.  Instead of trees, shrubs and vines that are here for purely visual aesthetics, I am planting trees, shrubs and vines that will produce food.  I've even ripped out one or two bushes that just needed TO GO away to make room for this new plan.

The tough part of this plan is that vegetables really don't grow on trees. hmmph.

So, this spring, we put in a Reliance peach tree (hardy to Zone 4), three blueberries (one died, need to replace that) and two baby paw paws.  As we live in the micro culture of Minneapolis, the paw paws ought to do alright here, evidenced by the one we've had growing for >3 years in the front yard.  My error with the baby paw paws is that I planted peppers near them, and I probably should have planted bush beans.  This will be remedied next spring.

What's the deal with beans as opposed to peppers?  beans will actually improve the soil and encourage growth of plants near them actively as they grow and just exist.  Peppers are heavier feeders.

This fall, we received two pear (Bartlett and Kieffer) trees and three hazelnut trees.  The hazelnut trees are part of a research study done by people who think they are going to feed the world with hazelnuts.  These are winter hardy varieties of some hybrid.  Don't care. planted three.

I was going to plant an elderberry bush or two out front after ripping out the forsythia.  I'm really looking instead at the smaller and more prolific black currant bush of a Scottish variety.  Gotta do more research into this.  I don't believe we have any white pine here.  in the city. away from all the other trees. in the city.  for white pine blister to be an issue.

The cherry tree that could really did, and we canned more cherries that I care to pit in an afternoon or week.  I won't complain, though, I will have to learn how to use those cherries, however.

Somehow, I'd like to put an arbor or a something to grow actual grapes on.  That might get invasive, but right now, with snow on the ground, it sounds appealing.  I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment